Coronavirus Information - PleaseCLICK HERE for more information and FAQ's


HOME BUILDER is a Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance that helps to cover your mortgage repayments for up to 12 months per claim if you are prevented from earning due to an accident, sickness or involuntary unemployment. The maximum monthly benefit payable is £3000.

Policy Document


Terms of Business

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Get Quote

Realm Home Builder Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance is designed to help you with your monthly mortgage payment in the event that you are off work as a result of an accident, sickness (disability) or involuntary unemployment / involuntary redundancy. You can select cover from the following options: Accident, Sickness & Unemployment (ASU) cover or Accident and Sickness Only (AS Only) cover.
No, in order to be eligible you must have taken out a residential mortgage within the last 30 days of your policy start date.
If you have an existing policy with another provider, you can apply to cancel and replace your cover to Realm Protection if you feel the policy we offer meets your demands and needs and you meet the eligibility requirements. There should be no gap between the date you cancel your old policy and the start date of your new Realm policy.
The wait period before you can claim will depend on the type of cover you select. The longer the wait period the lower your monthly premiums will be. Realm Home Builder policy offers three wait periods for you to choose from; 30, 60 or 90 days. You can start claiming on your insurance after the wait period you have selected is over for accident and sickness as certified by a doctor. For unemployment claims you cannot claim within the first 90 days of the start date of your policy. But after that period you can claim after the wait period you have selected, either 30, 60 or 90 days has expired.
The maximum number of monthly benefit payments for our policy is 12 monthly consecutive payments in any one claim period. You are able to submit more eligible claims once you have returned to work for the re-qualification period of 3 months.
Yes as long as you meet the eligibility criteria. Just like employed people you will need to provide a copy of a sick note if you are making a claim on the accident and sickness (disability) element of cover. There are limited circumstances in which a self- employed person could make a valid claim from involuntary unemployment, please refer to the full policy wording for details.
You may be eligible to apply for Home Builder; however, there are specific terms that apply for claiming unemployment benefits under the policy. Please refer to full policy wording for details.
You will not be able to claim for any period of unemployment for which you were aware of at the start date of this policy or which occurs within the initial exclusion period. Further details can be found in the policy wording.
This would be classed as a pre-existing medical condition. You would not be able to claim for a pre-existing medical condition if you have seen or arranged to see a doctor during the 12 months immediately prior to the start date of your policy. This exclusion is waived if you have been free from its symptoms, and have not consulted any doctor nor received any treatment for or in connection with the condition for a two-year period prior to your claim.
Yes as long as there is radiological evidence of medical abnormality, visible wound, contusion confirmed by a doctor, or a consultant certifies that the condition solely prevents you from working.
Yes as long as a consultant psychiatrist certifies that the condition solely prevents you from working.
You must give notice of a claim by telephoning the administrator on 01285 626020. Please note that for all unemployment claims you will be required to show evidence that you are actively seeking work.  As evidence you will be required to provide at least 10 job applications per month during the claim period.  Failure to do so may result in you not receiving your monthly benefit under this policy.  This will apply irrespective of whether you are registered as available for work at a Job Centre Plus or The Department of Health and Social Security in Northern Ireland.
No, the minimum period for which you can claim is 30 days.
This insurance is underwritten by Qudos Insurance A/S. Registered office; Kongevejen 371, DK2840 Holte, Denmark. Qudos Insurance are authorised and regulated by the Finanstilsynet (the Danish Regulator). As an insurance company authorised within the European Union, Qudos Insurance is permitted to conduct business within the United Kingdom and is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under reference 571608.
Yes, the monthly benefit chosen must not exceed £3000 or 75% of your normal gross monthly income or the monthly mortgage payment plus 50%, whichever is lesser.

There are some things that you are not covered for. These are generally anything you already knew about when applying for the policy or anything that is caused by deliberate or illegal acts on your part, ie;

Any sickness, condition or injury whether diagnosed or not about which you knew or should reasonably have known at the policy start date or had seen or arranged to see a doctor during the 12 months prior to the policy start date.
In respect to unemployment, this will only apply if you become out of work directly due to circumstances beyond your control and of which you had no previous knowledge.

Full details can be found in the policy details page. You must read through this document to ensure the policy is suitable for you.

The policy is reviewed on an annual basis, however your premiums are paid monthly. Thirty (30) days before the policy has been in force for a year, and annually thereafter, we will write to you advising you of the premium for the next 12 months and of any changes to your cover.
Yes. There is no waiver of premiums during the period of the claim. If you make a claim, premiums must be continued and these will be collected as normal by direct debit. If you cancel the premium payment, any claim being paid will cease and the insurance cover will be considered ended.
The premiums for future years will depend upon the forecasts of costs to the insurer of settling claims and changes in taxation and inflation. The Insurer will not seek to recover, in future years, the costs of any claims already paid out. Changes to your premium will not depend on your individual circumstances (except age) but on the cost of overall claims.
Yes you can and if you continue your policy with us you will be eligible for all benefits under the policy up to the age of 70. If you are age 64 or above, unfortunately you will not be able to apply.
Realm Protection is covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Further information about compensation scheme arrangement is available from the FSCS.
Yes, you will be eligible for a Mortgage Payment Protection insurance if you have a joint mortgage subject to you meeting all other eligibility requirements.
In order to claim for unemployment insurance you need to be either in receipt of job seeker allowance or be registered with the job centre plus.
You can change your address by contacting us by email, telephone or writing to us. Please see the Contact Us section of our website for details.
No, unfortunately we do not offer joint policies
You need to contact the claims administrator as specified in your policy document. They will either send you a claims form or tell you what you need to do in order to make a claim.
No, the initial exclusion period cannot be waived if you cancel your mortgage payment insurance and replace it with income protection insurance
You will need to cancel your policy with your existing provider. However, you should ensure that your new policy has been made active before you cancel your existing policy.
No, you cannot claim if you are notified of redundancy during the initial exclusion period.
Yes, we cover accidents/injury related claims from sports activities as long as they are not undertaken in a professional capacity.
You can update your policy details by contacting us by email, phone or writing to us. Please see the Contact Us section of our website for details.
Yes, it is possible to change your direct debit date by contacting the policy administrator on 01285 626020.

Get Quote

Subscribe to our free newsletter